Crystal Safety … or how I almost burnt-down my house with crystals and sage.

Crystals can be dangerous.  And I don’t just mean to the Powers of Darkness. I mean literally. As in crystals and sage almost burnt-down my house. For those of you who read the Crystal Care post, I know I recommend putting your crystals in the morning sun to dry after their bath. It’s what I do … but I would be remiss if I didn’t warn you: never ever (seriously, I mean it) never leave crystals unattended in direct sunlight. They can start a fire.

Don’t believe me? Read on.  Even if you do believe me, read on. This is the true story of how I almost burnt-down my house with crystals and sage.

Some years ago I used to hike the Ojai back-country and gather white sage. Consequently, I had a lot of it. A good big bundle which I kept in a wicker basket. One day, I was cleaning my kitchen. One of those really deep cleansings where I actually took a bunch of stuff outdoors onto the patio so I could scrub every nook and cranny.

I had this clear quartz crystal ball lying around from doing tarot readings at the kitchen table. I set it atop the basket of sage thinking, the sage makes a nice soft nest for the crystal ball.” I then set the whole basket on the patio in direct noon-day sunlight on a summer day and went inside to clean.

After a while I smelled smoke.  Really aromatic and spicy.  Like BBQ. “Neighbors must be Q-ing” I said to myself.  Wait. What?  It’s 1:00 p.m. on Tuesday. No one BBQ’s at 1:00 p.m. on Tuesday. I went outdoors to investigate.

That’s when I noticed the side of my house on fire.

I admit, there was a moment of hesitation. Not because I panicked. But the house was a “fixer” and burning it to the ground to collect insurance money had crossed my mind on numerous occasions. However, God, Providence, Angels, or whoever, had situated the fire right next to the garden hose. I took this as a sign I should douse the blaze instead of watching all my earthly possessions fry. I leapt for the spigot and turned-on the water full-blast. It took a long time to get the fire all the way out.

After the fire was extinguished, I examined the scene. I found the crystal ball at ground zero. Amazingly, it wasn’t shattered, but it was charred. After I scrubbed-off the black stuff I saw it was completely fractured like car windshield glass after a bad wreck. I gave it a burial at sea.

Luckily the damage to our house wasn’t too severe. We had to replace and repaint the exterior siding on that wall but nothing inside the house was damaged.

And that, my friends, is why you should never leave crystals unattended in sunlight. It’s also one reason I recommend early morning sun for charging them. Hanging a crystal from your car’s rearview mirror isn’t a great idea either unless you fancy a melted dashboard or car seat. In any case, I wish you many happy and safe adventures with your crystal companions.

Journey Home is a metaphysical store and Conscious Lifestyle Boutique in Ventura, California, USA. We offer Crystals, gemstones, jewelry, meditation supplies, sacred art, home décor, inspiring gifts, and psychic readings.

Copyright 2019 by Anastasia Katsikaris for Journey Home. All rights reserved. If you want to share this article, please give attribution to the author and an link to this site.